Posted on Leave a comment

Your Child is 18!

Consider this scenario:  Your daughter is a freshman in college three states away, is involved in an accident, but the doctors won’t give you any information.

It is important to remember that once your child turned 18, she became an adult for health care purposes.  Her doctors are no longer permitted to discuss her needs with you, including in the unfortunate case of an accident.

One way to eliminate this problem is to have your child execute a medical power of attorney, naming you as his or her agent.  In this way, should anything happen to your son or daughter, not only will the doctors be authorized to speak directly to you, you will also be empowered to make medical decisions for him or her.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.